Some of the churches in Evora. Unfortunately I didn't get to see them all, and didn't always get good pictures, but these are some of the better or more notable pictures.
Having these guys, gargoyles perhaps, but larger, on top of your church might seem off-putting today. I think this is the church of our lady of grace.
The bells atop our lady of grace.
I think this is the Sao Francisco church ceiling.
Igreja de São Francisco, the Capela dos Ossos or the Chapel of Bones. Morbid. That's a full skeleton to the left of the cross and a child to the left of that one. The chapel is covered almost entirely in bones. Apparently they dug up a number of graveyards and needed to put the bones somewhere. It was partly built to help the monks who prayed here concentrate on what is important. (And just what is important anyway?)
This church is next to the Palace of the Duke de Cadaval, part of the Loios convent. The walls are completely covered in tile. I covet this lectern for giving my lectures from.
The exterior of the Se Cathedral. Some of the Apostles outside for a bit of sun.
Gargoyle. What church is complete without a gargoyle?
Minarets on the Se Cathedral.
Science, Statistics, Politics, Current Events, Photos and Life.
- ► 2012 (67)
- Walls and Spires in Evora
- Evora Tiles
- Evora Doors, Windows, Stairs and Streets
- Signs of Evora
- Arraiolos Rugs in Evora
- Pigs of Evora
- Mannequins of Evora
- Evora Churches
- Evora Portugal Art and Fountains
- Miami Beach Signs III: The Best of the Rest
- Miami Beach Signs II: Signs of the Beach
- Parking Signs of Miami Beach
- Broken Things
- Big Buildings and Balconies in Miami Beach
- Miami Beach Beach Number III: Weather Goeth the Pe...
- Miami Beach Beach Number II: Objects on the Beach ...
- Miami Beach Beach Number I: Approaching the Beach
- Miami Odds and Beach Ends
- Fountains and Art of Miami Beach
- Generalized Tree Boles of Miami Beach
- Miami Beach Plants, Palms and Creatures
- Here's Stairing at You, Miami Beach
- Entranced, I'm Sure
- Miami Beach Chairs and Benches
- Miami Beach White House(s)
- Blue Buildings in Miami Beach
- Miami Beach: Yellow Buildings
- We interrupt this blog for some pictures from Miam...
- ▼ August (28)
- ► 2010 (77)
- ► 2008 (61)