Science, Statistics, Politics, Current Events, Photos and Life.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Jeronimos Monastery

The Jeronimos Monastery is another fine example of Manueline style.  And the inside architecture absolutely rocks. 

Ornamentation above the door. 

Gargoyle.  I'm sure I've seen him somewhere previously, perhaps Saturday morning cartoons circa 1965.  

The baptismal font where my first wife was baptized.  

Stained glass window.  The vertical pattern may well be bars on the outside.  

And in a city where everything is named after Vasco de Gama, this is called "The tomb of Vasco de Gama".  You know the old joke, "Who is buried in Vasco de Gama's tomb?", right?  Hint: it's not General Grant.  

Ceiling.  I could post forty of this pictures.  What an amazing ceiling.  

The dome from a distance.  My guess is that round thing just below the top cross is an orb representing Marvin the Martian.  Or the orb representing King Manuel.  

No comments:

Blog Archive